I Feel Like A Hypocrite (a bit)
Since I started this blog, I've been:
- single - check,
- A parent - check!
- making homemade meals almost every night - check,
- Cooking for three kids with a wide range in ages (21, 18 and 13) and tastes (don't even ask) - check!
But lately with my oldest still living with me, my middle child away at college and my youngest spending a lot more time with her mom, I don't feel so much as the Single Parent Chef as I feel like the Single Person Chef. Because of this, I've been hesitant to post any more recipes because I've not been making them as much.
Now, bear with me, I'm working this out as I type... So should I abandon this site, should I change the focus of the site or should I just continue on as before, calling on my twenty years of experience, cooking for my kids? The other wrinkle that's come up recently is that I've been counting my calories and have discovered that many of the meals I've put on this site are not ones that I would be eating now. Does that make me a hypocrite in yet another way? To quote Dr. Smith from Lost In Space - "Oh, the pain!"
So here I am, posting on a site dedicated to showing single parents the cooking basics and yet, I'm not sure I should.
I know, let's look at why I should continue 'as is'.
- I do have many years of experience cooking for my kids
- I have a better sense of nutrition and could lace that into some of my recipes
- I like helping others, especially those who've been through the trauma of getting divorced/widowed, etc...
- Hell, that's the name of the site!
Okay, I think I've worked it out. I will continue! I will make new recipes based on what I've done before with an eye on keeping the calorie count lower (whenever I can) and the foods healthy (with an occasional jump into extravagance land).
How does that sound? Let me know with your comments or send me an email from the contact page.
The Jury is adjourned!