Video Episode 2: "The Secret"
I must admit to being stubborn about eating well for breakfast for most of my life. My craving for sugar and empty carbs very often took over my desire to eat well. In fact, it wasn't until recently that I got in touch with the glory that is oatmeal.
What I find is so great about oatmeal is that not only is it easy to prepare, it is friendly with so many different kinds of toppings: bananas, raisins, apples, peaches, strawberries, walnuts, pecans, almonds, the list goes on. Adding the dollop of peanut butter kicks this meal over the top in terms of providing strong, consistent energy throughout the morning.
- 1 qt size bowl
- 2 cup measuring cup
- 3/4 cup measuring cup
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cups whole oats
- pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 tbsp of peanut butter
- 2 tbsp of raisins
- 2 tbsp of walnuts
- 1 tbsp of honey
- Place the water, oats and salt in bowl and stir
- Microwave on high for three minutes
- Take bowl out of microwave and stir to encorporate mixture
- Add peanut butter, raisins, walnuts and honey, stir thoroughly
- Enjoy! Or, if in a hurry, put oatmeal in a travel mug, attach a spoon and napkin to side of mug with a rubber band and enjoy when you've got time at work/school.
I know that this is a very simple recipe, it's almost not a recipe. Never the less, it gives one such a solid base for starting the day, it sets the stage for you having the energy and focus to learn more involved recipes later on. So, give it a try and plunk it in front of your kids, too. It will most definitely make a difference!